Bannock, Pemmican and smoked Fish

Ever wanted to run away from home? I have.

The last time was in late 1999, first half of 2000. I was really, really unhappy with my work environment. We had gotten a new engineering manager - the only nice thing about him that I can say is that he was very focussed on the end result. During that period, I felt like running away for two years or so. Go someplace green and warm just chill out. Needless to say, I wanted to be alone.

The only other time I can recall wanting to run away was when I was a kid. Probably between the ages of 8 and 11 (or maybe 9 and 11 - definitely while still in elementary school). This had nothing to do with a miserable home life - I just wanted adventure.

I wanted to run away and live in the forest. I had romantic visions of living inside the hollow of the trunk of some majestic tree.
I dreamt of being stuck in my little oasis for days on end in the winter as the temperature dropped below -40C, with howling winds and blowing snow making any venture outside too risky.

I didn't just think about it, I planned and prepared as well. I read books on wilderness survival. I studied camping catalogs and selected supplies. I considered how many pounds of potatoes and flour I would need to bring - checked prices on 50lb bags of potatoes.

I envisioned catching and smoking fish. Trapping small animals like hares and drying the meat to make pemmican with berries I gathered. I would collect mushrooms. I would make bannock.

I couldn’t understand why none of my friends had any interest in running away from home. Surely, everyone thinks like me? Don't they?

In the end, I didn't run away – I worried about my parents and how they would worry and miss me. My dreams shifted to more mundane things like having a nuclear powered rocket ship like Tom Swift and a secret laboratory and development facility hidden in some remote location.

Images taken from here, here and here.

Comments

Kay said…
I had the same kinda wish when I was younger too..

The main reason simply was becos I was always bullied by my elder brother..who often led me crying and furthermore, my mum was not at home..working..she'll be back only when I was abt to go to sleep and I didnt get the chance to tell her abt my misery..

But I did manage to run away only to a few storeys up..to a fren's place..only to go back home when its dinner time..hee

Now, the feeling have come back to me again..where can I run to?? ur place maybe..:wink'
ghee said…
Oh I was an adventurer when I was a kid..maybe until now,just dont have enough chance for it..

I used to ride some buses that would take me to another place,far more away from home...sit beside the window,feel the freshness of air..maybe i just needed some space..but as the bus reach the place,I`d ride again another bus that will take me home..I was only 16 when I did that,it was too risky in manila to travel alone.

my comin to Japan is part of my adventure,too..

I still feel that some of a time..
I stay at my friends house for a night..but i want more than that...
i want more solidarity outside my house.
Richard said…
sassy: hopefully your feeling of running away will pass. I think one of the motivators for running away (if not a bad situation) is being in a rut. I think a lot of us need to jumpstart our lives and get off the beaten path and try new things rather than doing the same routine everyday.

ghee: the buses in Canada are pretty safe. I used to ride my bike around the island of Montreal when I was in my teens - it was great and I really miss it.

Cool! I like the sentence "I want more sdolidarity outside my house." That is how I have always felt, I keep looking for it, but it seems so elusive.
Coffee Fairy v1 said…
Oh yes, I have had my runaway times myself. When I was a teenager, I remember I almost ran away after a heated argument with my mom. As in I had my clothes packed in a bag, me crying and was ready to go out of the house...but well of course, I knew I wouldn't pursue it because I know I'd be the loser in the end. =)
But I've always wanted to travel and wanted to be independent, so moving to Singapore was one of my best decisions made. But I've always felt I have this some kind of a nomad in me, because from time to time, I have to get away to someplace for a change of environment. I like routine but I change it occasionally.
Richard said…
coffee fairy: I am a curious mixture of one who loves new experiences and craves stability and security. I am very much a fence sitter on this one - since I do not lean heavily one way or the other.

I think you are lucky to have such a wanderlust within you. I had a Japanese friend who was the same (sadly, long time since we lost touch).

I have not travelled much, not even in Canada. In many ways, I am like one of my favourite authors, Jules Verne, an armchair explorer.

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Wisdom Concerning Money

Of retirement and death

Why you should regularly visit your dentist.