You know, I almost posted a similar picture on my blog. This of course being very odd for me, considering that I possess that ridiculous female fear of spiders. But there has been this spider that has been "dwelling" outside my front door for about 2 months now. She spins this amazing web each day and when it rains, she's gone. But she always returns and spins a new web. Initially, I thought about how I could get rid of her, as she freaked me out each time I would come in and out of my front door. I even used my back door more often because of her. As weeks passed though, I felt that killing her would be so cruel and unnecessary. As long as she remains outside and doesn't leap into my face or obstruct my doorway, why should I kill her? So, I've become very comfortable and compassionate towards a spider! I refer to the spider as female because I think she may be pregnant as she appears to have this gray sac attached to her now. Do you think this is a correct assumption and should I be concerned? I am befriending a spider but believe me, as soon as one enters my space, they are dead. I know...I'm ridiculous!
breal:As long as she remains outside and doesn't leap into my face ha ha, that is hilarious. Made me break out into a smile.
I don't think she is with children. Spiders typically lay their eggs in a protective pouch somewhere. I am not aware of any that carry it around, but I am no expert.
It is highly unlikely she is going to leap at you. First off, you are several hundred times larger and that should be deterrent enough for her.
Like B I have this incredible fear for spiders, but lately I grew accustomed to them and wish no harm to them. This photograph reminds me of one of the Native American Tarot cards it is called the stars... According to the legend: "The Piman Creator, Earth Doctor, had a grandmother Spider sew the sky to the earth with her webs. Then he sprayed water from his mouth on the sky-web and the drops water crystalized and became the stars".
Yeah, I know...what an irrational fear, huh? :) But truly, it crosses my mind almost every day I walk out my front door! That is good to know about the pregnancy deal. I'm gonna take your word on that and hope for the best!
[19September-2007 @ 17:11 EST: Revised preamble. This page still gets the most search hits: There is no Anthony de Croud. The e-mail is SPAM. I post things that pique my fancy at the moment. I like the 8 precepts, but the rest of the e-mail is junk. However, I thought it fair to post everything in its entirety. I did not write the e-mail. I did not forward the e-mail. I strongly encourage you not to forward it either. (I also encourage you to reply to whomever sent you the e-mail and tell them you don't appreciate getting junk mail.)] Received this in our e-mail (English translation follows): PRECEPTO CHINO SOBRE EL DINERO EL DINERO PUEDE COMPRAR UNA CASA, PERO NO UN HOGAR, EL DINERO PUEDE COMPRAR UN RELOJ, PERO NO EL TIEMPO. EL DINERO PUEDE COMPRAR UNA CAMA, PERO NO EL SUEÑO. EL DINERO PUEDE COMPRAR UN LIBRO, PERO NO EL CONOCIMIENTO. EL DINERO PUEDE PAGAR UN MÉDICO, PERO NO LA SALUD. EL DINERO PUEDE COMPRAR UNA POSICIÓN, PERO NO EL RESPETO. EL DINERO PUEDE COMPRAR LA SANGRE, PERO ...
Over the summer I saw a bunch of movies with the kids and here are my reviews of them: Prince Caspian A movie with no plot, no substance, just lots of fighting. To give you idea of how violent the movie is, whenever I asked the kids what they were watching on TV they would reply, "Don't worry, it's not as violent as Prince Caspian." I think the movie can be summed up as follows: Susan: (Examining the ruins of Narnia) "What happened here?" Peter: "I don't know, but lets go thump something" Lucy: "Shouldn't we wait for Aslan?" Peter: "Aslan's not coming. Let's go thump something." (One epic battle gone wrong, a macho hand-to-hand battle gone well for the hero , and in the midst of another epic battle going wrong, Lucy comes across Aslan.) Aslan: "Why didn't you wait for me?" (Lucy looks shamefaced.) Aslan: (Laughing) "Ok, let's go find your friends and help them thump someone." The...
Today Forbidden Planet turns 1 year old. I have considered a web presence since 1996, but eventually it was Ingrid and her Ice Cream that inspired me to start. Initially I expected the content to consist of pontifications and technical entries (princiapally focussed on programming and my sceptical views on conventional knowledge in various fields of science). In the end, it has turned into a more reflective blog. This has actually turned out better for me, since it reminds me of younger days, coffee shops, long walks and deep talks. I have kept my original rule which was to only post one entry per day (actually less than that sometimes). One interesting thing I learned was that "being found" is quite hard. People did not come tripping over my blog in the early days – even now they don't. It still requires a fair amount of browsing other people's blogs and leaving comments to generate visits. I am very gratified with those who regularly visit my blog and leave thou...
Comments
I don't think she is with children. Spiders typically lay their eggs in a protective pouch somewhere. I am not aware of any that carry it around, but I am no expert.
It is highly unlikely she is going to leap at you. First off, you are several hundred times larger and that should be deterrent enough for her.
Check out this page if you are concerned.
"The Piman Creator, Earth Doctor, had a grandmother Spider sew the sky to the earth with her webs. Then he sprayed water from his mouth on the sky-web and the drops water crystalized and became the stars".
bee: yay! you have come back and visited me. Thanks.