"With you, I don't feel I am deaf."

I think we all like getting compliments. I also think it is easy to miss those we get when we don't think we are really doing out of the ordinary.

I used to have a deaf friend. She started life hearing, but progressively lost her hearing (because of a heritable condition) until she became, as describes it, "profoundly deaf".

We were having lunch one day and she remarked, "With you, I don't feel I am deaf."

We communicated by scribbling on a pad of paper and passing it back and forth. I wrote back something akin to, "Perhaps you are not deaf, but I am mute." (I could look it up, but, first, I would have to find the papers – then I might find my response was far more banal or completely different, so we'll stick with the recollected version. Alright? :)

Her most striking feature was her eyes. They did not sparkle or shine or gleam or twinkle. They flashed.

The first time I had an opportunity to chat with her, I immediately thought she would be perfect to cast in the role of the goddess Athene as described in Homer's Illiad: Athene of the flashing eyes.

Image nabbed from here.

Comments

Anonymous said…
There is a lot of ways to communicate you know and I'm sure you had a good conversation since you really had something to 'tell' each other. Besides: silence can be a good thing among friends too :-)

Wishing you a great end to your week buddy.
Richard said…
rennyba: genuine communication flows freely and easily and overcomes whatever barriers may be in place.
B said…
Sounds like you two shared a deep connection, even in those brief moments. When we feel someone "gets" us, it is a magical and powerful feeling. And I love the way you describe her eyes!
Richard said…
breal: I don't know how deep we got, but chatting with her was a pleasure, not a pain.

She is the only person I ever met with those kinds of eyes. When I read The Illiad I remember thinking what a lousy description "flashing eyes" was. Honestly, who's eyes "flash" - except in cartoons. But, when I met my friend, the description fit her perfectly.

She had a great smile to go with those eyes, too.
Barbara said…
I've sometimes wondered whether I value sight or hearing more. As you have shown, you can compensate for a lack of hearing. Sight is a lot harder. Writing is so slow as opposed to speaking. I would imagine it's a little frustrating to communicate that way. But then kids do it all the time with their text-messaging.
Anonymous said…
im not surprised to learn how smart and kind you are,Richard! thats an honorable act! :)

have a nice weekend!
ghee
Richard said…
barbara: I could live without hearing, but not without seeing. Yes, conversations were slower, but also more suspenseful, since you could hide you response until you were ready to reveal it.

ghee: it has nothing to do with being smart, just being respectful of other people.

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Wisdom Concerning Money

Of retirement and death

Why you should regularly visit your dentist.