There be pirates!

My son has a frugal use of language. He prefers to say things in the fewest words possible. He also tends to mix English and Spanish freely, choosing the simpler word from either language.

A few days ago, we were out driving and it was past lunchtime, so I asked, "Jason, are you hungry?"

"Yes", he relied.

"What would you like to eat?"

"French fries, hamburger, juice, and a toy", was his verbless answer.

As we continued along he blurted, "Look! McDonald's. There be french fries."

I wanted to correct him, because I find "there be ..." rather jarring on the ears, besides, it makes him sound like a pirate. To be honest, I couldn't think of a better way to express it. Maybe I should have paid more attention in grammar class ...

He has recently started saying "I don't care" instead of "I don't know".

This leads to amusing conversations like:

"Who Broke this?"
"I don't care."

"Where is your mother?"
"I don't care."


He had a wonderful exchange with my sister once:

"Wow! Look how big you are Jason."

"I grow. By myself. At home."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Wisdom Concerning Money

Of retirement and death

Why you should regularly visit your dentist.