Does it make sense to translate poetry?

A while back I was listening to CBC radio. Shelagh Rogers was interviewing some poet. There was nothing terribly interesting until they spoke about the poets work being translated into some non-Indo-European tongue.


And I thought, "Does that make sense?"

I can understand transliterating a poetic work (say Njal's Saga, or The Odyssey), but I am not so sure that translating poems is really sensible. The original meaning, play of the language, lyricism is lost. Even a good translation is only a pale imitation of the original (except, it seems, when Akira Kurosawa adapts Shakespeare).

A good example of this is the haiku. I've read some translated haiku - they seem weird to me. On the other hand, maybe it is the form of the haiku that seems weird to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Wisdom Concerning Money

Of retirement and death

Half-and-half