Seven Songs - redux

Last week, breal retagged me to redo the musical meme Seven Songs. The rules are simple, list seven songs you are listening to now and why.

Fortunately, this time around, I had been listening to some music.

Why do I like these songs? Simple, like the previous set, they mess with my neurochemistry and make me feel good.

The best way to enjoy them is to ignore the videos (I find them distracting), crank up the volume, close your eyes and let the music wash over you as the Cream song Tales of Brave Ulysses tells us "How his naked ears were tortured, by the Sirens sweetly singing."

Twiggy Twiggy (also known as Twiggy vs James Bond) by Pizzicato Five, a Japanese group, from their album Made in USA. There are only two good songs on it, the first an upbeat jazzy number titled I and this one. The only problem with the song is that it ends poorly, I generally skip the last minute because it distracts from the effect of the song.
Black Math by The White Stripes, off their album Elephant. A very good album with a lot of interesting songs done in different styles. When I first heard the album I thought it was a compilation of different artists.
I can't find the full version of this song on the Internet, so you can listen to a snippet of it here. Though I think it really does not do it justice.No One by I Mother Earth, a Canadian alternative band from the early 90s. I listen to it from sampler CD called Various - Scoop This.
I can't find the full version of this song on the Internet, so you can listen to a snippet of it here. But, again, it doesn't really give you the full experience.Howlin' for my Baby by George Thorogood. I listen to it from the album Get a Haircut, which is actually a pretty disappointing album.
Josephine by Fats Domino. I listen to it off a compilation of Fats Domino songs, a CD full of great tunes.
Whole Lotta Shakin’ Going On by Jimmy Swaggert's cousin, the Killer himself, Jerry Lee Lewis. I listen to it off a generic Jerry Lee Lewis compilation.
Rondo alla Turca by Mozart. It is a happy, upbeat tune, that sounds deceptively simple, just a few repetitive notes played with small variations. Yet, when you watch it being played, it becomes clear that this is a fairly demanding piece.


Previous time I played this meme is here.

Comments

Barbara said…
This is totally cool. It strikes me that you really like a strong beat. I especially like the piano piece, of course. It's great to be able to see the pianist's face in the video.
Anonymous said…
Hello Richard,

Its been a while..Im over with my blog leave :)

the first song is interesting,a japanese version one.and i love the thrid song,classic rock and roll :)
Richard said…
barbara: The only problem is that the pianist does not seem to be having as much fun as the piece implies. Listening to it, it is such a light jaunty piece. I easily imagine Mozart laughing and having fun as his fingers lightly dance over the keys (one reason it is a good idea to close your eyes and listen to the music instead of being distracted by watching the artist).

I suppose I like music with a beat. Although, it still does not explain why I like MOI's From The Soul Within, which is a ballad (well, folk like) and very listenable to (and yes, I know listenable is not a word). I thought it was great that a few years back Little Richard released a whole bunch of children's songs (Old McDonald has never been the same since).

ghee: hi ghee, nice to see you back again. While I did not take a blogging hiatus there was (and perhaps still is) a blogging slowdown. In many ways it was kind of nice to do, it is so easy to just not exert any effort.

I also like Puffy Ami Yumi's rendition of Teen Titans.

Do you mean No One by I Mother Earth of Josephine by Fats Domino?
CG said…
I loved Twiggy Twiggy, but I have to agree with you, the last minute does spoil it. Your music choices seem to be very interesting and very different!
Richard said…
carra: I'm glad to know it is not just me on the ending of Twiggy, Twiggy.

Most music I listen to is pretty old. The most modern stuff I listen to at the moment is Bif Naked's album Purge which was released in 2001.

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Wisdom Concerning Money

Risky Singapore?

Half-and-half