Eleven years ago today

So what happened 11 years ago today?

According to wikipedia and BBC’s On This Day – not much.

Lot’s of things have happened on March 10th, but, apparently, nothing newsworthy happened on 10-March-1995.

On this day, I met Sofia for the first time.

I remember this, not because I was so impressed with Sofia, but because of the way I remember things.

I remember most of my first encounters with future friends – but generally not the date I met them.

But … there is one thing I do tend to remember – birthdays.

I remember meeting Sofia because I was asked to pick her up and bring her to a friend’s birthday party.

How did this first meeting go?

Me: Hi. Are you Sofia?
Sofia: Yes.
Me: I’m Richard, I’m supposed to pick you up to go to Olga’s party.
Sofia: Yes, let me get my coat.
Me: I think you should change you skirt and put on a pair of pants.
Sofia: No, it’s ok.
Me: This is Canada, it is still winter and it can get very cold.
Sofia: I’ll be fine, besides we’re going by car.
Me I still recommend you change.
Sofia I’ll be fine.

Sofia’s recollection is slightly different:

Me: Hi. Are you Sofia?
Sofia: Yes.
Me: (disapprovingly) Hmm, a mini-skirt. You need to change.

Now, I know Sofia’s version is incorrect because I can’t distinguish one skirt from another. I also know I made my recommendation as someone who has experienced a few Canadian winters and knows how to dress for them – and since I knew Sofia had only recently arrived in Canada, I was more concerned that she was warm than trying to dress elegantly as if it was summer in Peru.

On the way to the party I got lost, so I had to stop and consult a map. Conversation was awkward because she spoke very little English, so we communicated in French, but … I understand French better than I speak it.

Her impression of me that night was that I was nice, but overly serious. I have no strong impressions of her. I remember when I was leaving I offered to take her home, but she wanted to stay longer (I turn into a pumpkin at midnight or so) because, in Peru (or Latin America for that matter), parties don’t really get started until 23:00 or later and continue on until morning. (The birthday girl was Colombian – Olga is a fairly common name in Colombia – I’ve met three Colombian women named Olga).

Comments

buzybee said…
hehe... that's an interesting account. :)

i guess that's the difference between a man's and a woman's perception of things/words.
Richard said…
Not sure it is necessarily a man / woman perception difference. It is more likely a me / rest of the world difference.
How sweet. It is so refreshing to read stories like this. You are a classic.
Richard said…
THanks elvina, but I doubt I am classic, the reality is that I am a man who never was.
Just me said…
Not Romeo and Juliet but cute nonetheless. The important thing is that you met.. and eventually fell in love.

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Wisdom Concerning Money

Of retirement and death

Half-and-half