carra: I do read him stories. He also reads to me (it is how I get him to practice his French).
Since my mother is dead, the only thing we have of her is her ashes and I let grandma sleep with the kids if they want. They have yet to refuse. I do not see the point of having her remains sitting somewhere out of the way. Since she is portable, I let her be close to the kids.
I don't know if my mother reads to him or tells him storie sin his dreams. He did also say right afterwards that he misses her. Which I guess is good, since he was only 5 when she died and during the last 2 years of her life we didn't visit as much since the chemo used to wear her out and knock out her immune system. Finding a time when my mother was reasonably well and the kids were not at risk of infecting her with something was difficult. We visited once a week after a stomach flu passed through our house. My mother was sick for a week afterward.
We also look at pictures and I tell my kids about her so they remember.
Sorry I thought that was some trick, I am sorry I didn't realise, I feel really daft right now. What you're doing is great, especially if it keeps the memory of his grandmother alive. I would be interested to hear what stories your mother reads...
Very interesting...one just never knows. Hopefully, her memory will remain with him. You all must miss her terribly. I don't know what I want done with my ashes. I kinda like the idea of a regular burial site with a marker since it would be a fixed place where anyone could go at any time.
barbara: I have asked, but he just shrugs and says, "I don't remember".
carra: I bear no grudge against you.
MOI: my mother wanted to be buried and not cremated, but she also wants to be buried with my dad. Since he is not dead yet, keeping her portable was the only option. I grew up with the notion that burial was preferable over cremation. However, having my mother so easily accessible is quite nice.
Oh, I think that is very sweet that he said that and that you put her ashes in his room with him. There is a tenderness in that interaction that is very touching. Why should we deny children such? Why should we try to pretend or convince them that death is only a physical reality? Those who die we carry with us always and you clearly reiterated such to Jason.
breal: as with everything, balance is important. Some cultural practices seem to elevate death, making it a constant reminder. Others seem to hide it and shut it away. Personally, I have not known how to deal with death. How sympathetic, how mournful should I be? Of course, different people handle death differently. Some seem unable to let go of it. Others seem completely indifferent.
Rituals, customs, and traditions can go a long way to helping in the healing process, but sometimes I think they go too far. Some cultures have mutes and professional mourners - personally, I think that is taking things too far.
I also think the grief counselling that so often is hyped and promoted (especially in schools) after a death is wrong too and possibly harmful. I think it reinforces the idea that if you are not affected, there must be something wrong with you.
I prefer to take life my life neat, without adulteration. Of course, the only thing I ask is that I actually understood it better.
[19September-2007 @ 17:11 EST: Revised preamble. This page still gets the most search hits: There is no Anthony de Croud. The e-mail is SPAM. I post things that pique my fancy at the moment. I like the 8 precepts, but the rest of the e-mail is junk. However, I thought it fair to post everything in its entirety. I did not write the e-mail. I did not forward the e-mail. I strongly encourage you not to forward it either. (I also encourage you to reply to whomever sent you the e-mail and tell them you don't appreciate getting junk mail.)] Received this in our e-mail (English translation follows): PRECEPTO CHINO SOBRE EL DINERO EL DINERO PUEDE COMPRAR UNA CASA, PERO NO UN HOGAR, EL DINERO PUEDE COMPRAR UN RELOJ, PERO NO EL TIEMPO. EL DINERO PUEDE COMPRAR UNA CAMA, PERO NO EL SUEÑO. EL DINERO PUEDE COMPRAR UN LIBRO, PERO NO EL CONOCIMIENTO. EL DINERO PUEDE PAGAR UN MÉDICO, PERO NO LA SALUD. EL DINERO PUEDE COMPRAR UNA POSICIÓN, PERO NO EL RESPETO. EL DINERO PUEDE COMPRAR LA SANGRE, PERO ...
Over the summer I saw a bunch of movies with the kids and here are my reviews of them: Prince Caspian A movie with no plot, no substance, just lots of fighting. To give you idea of how violent the movie is, whenever I asked the kids what they were watching on TV they would reply, "Don't worry, it's not as violent as Prince Caspian." I think the movie can be summed up as follows: Susan: (Examining the ruins of Narnia) "What happened here?" Peter: "I don't know, but lets go thump something" Lucy: "Shouldn't we wait for Aslan?" Peter: "Aslan's not coming. Let's go thump something." (One epic battle gone wrong, a macho hand-to-hand battle gone well for the hero , and in the midst of another epic battle going wrong, Lucy comes across Aslan.) Aslan: "Why didn't you wait for me?" (Lucy looks shamefaced.) Aslan: (Laughing) "Ok, let's go find your friends and help them thump someone." The...
Today Forbidden Planet turns 1 year old. I have considered a web presence since 1996, but eventually it was Ingrid and her Ice Cream that inspired me to start. Initially I expected the content to consist of pontifications and technical entries (princiapally focussed on programming and my sceptical views on conventional knowledge in various fields of science). In the end, it has turned into a more reflective blog. This has actually turned out better for me, since it reminds me of younger days, coffee shops, long walks and deep talks. I have kept my original rule which was to only post one entry per day (actually less than that sometimes). One interesting thing I learned was that "being found" is quite hard. People did not come tripping over my blog in the early days – even now they don't. It still requires a fair amount of browsing other people's blogs and leaving comments to generate visits. I am very gratified with those who regularly visit my blog and leave thou...
Comments
Since my mother is dead, the only thing we have of her is her ashes and I let grandma sleep with the kids if they want. They have yet to refuse. I do not see the point of having her remains sitting somewhere out of the way. Since she is portable, I let her be close to the kids.
I don't know if my mother reads to him or tells him storie sin his dreams. He did also say right afterwards that he misses her. Which I guess is good, since he was only 5 when she died and during the last 2 years of her life we didn't visit as much since the chemo used to wear her out and knock out her immune system. Finding a time when my mother was reasonably well and the kids were not at risk of infecting her with something was difficult. We visited once a week after a stomach flu passed through our house. My mother was sick for a week afterward.
We also look at pictures and I tell my kids about her so they remember.
You all must miss her terribly.
I don't know what I want done with my ashes. I kinda like the idea of a regular burial site with a marker since it would be a fixed place where anyone could go at any time.
carra: I bear no grudge against you.
MOI: my mother wanted to be buried and not cremated, but she also wants to be buried with my dad. Since he is not dead yet, keeping her portable was the only option. I grew up with the notion that burial was preferable over cremation. However, having my mother so easily accessible is quite nice.
Rituals, customs, and traditions can go a long way to helping in the healing process, but sometimes I think they go too far. Some cultures have mutes and professional mourners - personally, I think that is taking things too far.
I also think the grief counselling that so often is hyped and promoted (especially in schools) after a death is wrong too and possibly harmful. I think it reinforces the idea that if you are not affected, there must be something wrong with you.
I prefer to take life my life neat, without adulteration. Of course, the only thing I ask is that I actually understood it better.