Five Facts

SweetiePie has invited me to share 5 facts about my self.
  1. I am male.
  2. My first name is Richard
  3. I am 42
  4. I am married
  5. I have two children
Ok, maybe that is a little too factual and not sufficiently revealing. So the question becomes one of, "Do I recycle old tidbits of information from my blog? Or do I give you fresh pieces of information?"

Since I want to encourage people to read this blog, I prefer not to give out previously revealed information. On the other hand, I also don't want to give identity thieves too much personal information. Oh! The dilemma, the dilemma.
  1. I am sinister (in Latin nominative).
  2. My hair is naturally curly (and increasingly grey).
  3. I cannot read Oscar Wilde's The Happy Prince or The Selfish Giant without crying. Actually, I cannot even finish them. These are the only two stories that affect me so and I unable to share them with my kids.
  4. When I was much younger, I didn't quite understand the movie classification system. I thought G meant Good, PG meant Pretty Good and R meant Rotten.
  5. When I was 7 years old, I read a book called, A Doctor Explains Pregnancy to an Eight Year Old. I felt very grown up reading a book targeted for older kids. My mother gave me this book because she was getting tired of trying to field my questions about pregnancy. What I took away most from the book was that cows and humans gestate for about 9 months, whales gestate for about 13 months, and mice gestate for 21 days.
Image nabbed from here.

Comments

Barbara said…
You forgot to mention how smart you are, how you know something about most everything!
B said…
I've not read either of those works by Wilde but am suddenly tempted to get them on my shelves. How did you come up with the movie rating classifications? That sounds like something an adult would tell a child! :)
Hazel said…
hi first time here..this tag can let me know you better
This is so cute! I am so tempted to do one myself on my blog! :P

I have read The Happy Prince - but being the Cynic that I am, it didn't really affect me that much. I was more devasted by the leading lady in Whitney My Love by Judith McNuaght - whose love relationship with the leading man - was so excruciating and heartwrenching - my pillow was drenched with tears.
that is fantastic. i especially like the movie ratings. :)
Richard said…
barbara: thanks for the compliment. However, without trying to be falsely modest, I really believe people know as much as I do, just not in all the same subjects I do.

hazel: thank you for dropping by and taking the time to leave me a comment.

breal: no need to run out and buy them. They are just short stories and can be had from the links I provided.

It was trying to make sense of the G, PG, AA, and R that could be found attached to each movie. I'd see a kids movie and it would be rated G, maybe PG and then I would see movies with an R (typically of no interest to a kid), so the classification came naturally. I could never figure out what AA meant, though.

elvina: go for it! Actually, better yet, "I tag you to do the five facts meme." Now you have to do it.

ingrid: thanks.
Unknown said…
Thanks for doing the tag!:)
My mum has natural curly hair luckily i don't have cuz it's pretty hard to maintain.LOL!I like your movie rating meaning too :)R for rotten*LOL*you made my day richard!
Richard said…
sweetiepie: Sofia alsways tells me how she thinks curly hair is easier to maintain (I tell her it is not). She has straght, black hair.

I do think my movie rating system is easier to understand.
Just me said…
I love knowing more about you.. thanks for sharing. And now I have two more books that I should check out from the library.
Richard said…
freckled-one: they are just short stories - really short. You can easily read them from the links provided.
What about The Little Prince?

I cried when I read and showed the movie The Selfish Giant to my Gr. 3's! And always when I showed The Incredible Journey...the original version. And of course, The Velveteen Rabbit...and I just thought of this..when I read my Gr. 7's Luke Baldwin's Vow! Had to get a kid to come up and finish the chapter.
Richard said…
MOI: I have nver read The Little Prince. I have borrowed it from teh library a few times, but I never manage to get any substantial way through it.

I don't know The Incredible Journey.

I read The Velveteen Rabbit to the kids a while back. It was not as touching as I had hoped.

They used to show The Happy Prince, The Selfish Giant and The Little Mermaid on TV when I was a kid. I haven't seen them in years.

I always remember Hail dancing on the giant's roof and Winter blanketing his garden in snow.

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Wisdom Concerning Money

Risky Singapore?

Half-and-half