"You would earn more money."


Is the way a philosophy professor in college tried to entice me away from electronics to philosophy.

My answer was that I didn’t really care about money (hah! Can you say young, idealistic, fool? Actually, I’m not any different these days, just older - though, I'm still waiting for the wisdom that comes with years).

Sometimes I think I should have studied philosophy instead. I’m not sure how hard or easy it is to be a philosopher, but at least I could spend my day asking questions and being paid for it.

There are two things I crave: stability and change.

I need to have a secure quiet place alone where I can recharge – it is the one reason I never did roommates.

On the other hand, I am insatiably curious and need new and constant stimulation to keep me from being bored.

My ideal job would be a jack-of-all-trades (that pays really well). If you have seen the movie Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (a wonderful children’s movie that my kids love), I can identify with Professor Potts, living in a broken down windmill on top of a hill, inventing. My wife does not share my enthusiasm for this type of life.

A great job I see on TV is MythBusters. That is a cool job. I could do that, I could be a MythBuster.

Part of my problem is that I am not a salesman. Maybe no one is a natural born salesman, but some people seem to make it look so easy and natural. I have thought, that I should just quit my job and get a job as a salesman somewhere, anywhere – just to get the experience.

Vila: "I'm entitled to my opinion."
Avon: "It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating."

from Blake’s Seven (a mediocore show – but with some witty dialog)

Comments

Lunafish said…
I was reading the free sample of "The Futurist" a publication that came via snail mail. It says that the high-paying careers of the next two decades include:
Innovation Officers and Cybrarians.
Those sound interesting. Since I am a recruiter (pesky middle man between the hiring manager and the candidate), I watch trends and talk to a great number of people about "what they do" and "what they wanna do" I enjoy stories about people who made it by following their instincts, as in last month's Wired magazine expo on Tim O'Reilly, the guy who created all the Tech Manuals with the animals on the front. There must be some question oriented opportunity out there for you somewhere.

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Wisdom Concerning Money

Of retirement and death

Half-and-half