Chocolate lava cakes

Tried out this recipe yesterday that I found inside a Baker's Dark Chocolate box. They are really, really good. Incredibly rich and decadent without drowning you in chocolate. Very, very suitable with a nice tall glass of cold milk.

112g (4oz) dark (70%) chocolate
125ml (1/2 cup) butter
250ml (1 cup) icing sugar
2 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
90ml (6 tbsp) flour
  1. Ensure you have everything prepared before hand because the whole process is very quick.

  2. Preheat oven to 220C (425F).

  3. Butter and flour 4 custard cups (I had no idea what custard cups were, so I used a 4 muffin muffin tin – I really should have used a larger one, since I had enough batter for 6).

  4. Place the butter and chocolate in a reasonably large microwaveable dish.

  5. Microwave on high for about a minute.

  6. Whisk the melted butter and chocolate together until smooth.

  7. Add the icing sugar and blend.

  8. Add the eggs and yolks and blend (this was actually kind of tough, just keep going at it).

  9. Blend in the flour.

  10. Pour into prepared custard cups and bake for 13-15 minutes.

  11. Remove from oven and let cool 1 minute.

  12. Run a knife around the edge to loosen them.

  13. Turn over onto a plate.

  14. Sprinkle with a little bit of icing sugar and top with 2 or 3 fresh raspberries. (If you are like me, you would prefer to top with a nice heavy whipped cream, tehn dust with icing sugar and finally top with raspberries. I am sure raspberry syrup, with seeds would be good too).

  15. Serve immediately while they are still warm (don't waste your breath oohing and aahing over it, just dig in and experience the decadence - this is a dessert that needs to be eaten warm).

As mentioned, I had left over batter, so I ate it. Even raw it was incredibly good. My suspicion is that you shouldn't fill the cups or tins up to the rim, otherwise the dessert gets a pointy "muffin" top (my did anyway)

If you haven't ever had these I strongly suggest you try it, it is not as over the top and sickly as so many triple chocolate, ecstasy death, coronary collapsing desserts are, it is actually decent and edible.

I did find the recipe on the companies web site, but it is slightly modified (six servings instead of 4, also fewer calories). You can check out the web version of the recipe here.

Image nabbed from here (you can also get another recipe for chocolate molten lava cake there too).

BTW, a serving is only half a cake.

I calculate that the recipe I made yesterday had about 700 calories per whole cake (assuming you manage 4 cakes out of it) and 42g of fat - all of it very, very worth it.

Comments

Barbara said…
This is what we ate all over France! I'm glad to finally have a recipe for it. Delicious!
Richard said…
barbara: go for it! It is really easy to make and really good (as if I haven't emphasized that enough already).
my mouth is watering. slurp.
Richard said…
ingrid: trust me, it is worth it.

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Wisdom Concerning Money

Half-and-half

Risky Singapore?