I picked up this fruit last week from Loblaws. Quite pricey at $6.99 each.
It is obvious that it is a cactus fruit. I thought it would be similar to cactus pears (which I enjoy). Cactus pears for between $0.79 and $0.99 (when we were in Peru, we could buy them off the street 6 for 1 Sol, about $0.35, and the lady with calloused hands, would peel them for you)
I started by cutting off the ends.
A beautiful white flesh with small seeds surrounded by a pretty purply-pink skin.
The flesh and seeds in side are very much like that of a Kiwi (except white instead of green). I was surprised since I was expecting lots of large seeds (like the cactus pear). It was fairly tasteless, though this is likely because the fruit was picked long before being fully ripe. I am sure if I ever go to Southeast Asia, I will discover it to be lightly sweet and probably even juicier.
I am sure it is a good refreshment on a hot and sticky day.
what a beautiful cactus fruit! The exterior coloring, the little seeds and white flesh...gorgeous. I would love to taste a ripe one, given your description!
i love the malay dragon fruit! it looks like cookies and cream ice cream inside, noh? :) thanks for dropping by my blog! i hope you visit again and again. :)
[19September-2007 @ 17:11 EST: Revised preamble. This page still gets the most search hits: There is no Anthony de Croud. The e-mail is SPAM. I post things that pique my fancy at the moment. I like the 8 precepts, but the rest of the e-mail is junk. However, I thought it fair to post everything in its entirety. I did not write the e-mail. I did not forward the e-mail. I strongly encourage you not to forward it either. (I also encourage you to reply to whomever sent you the e-mail and tell them you don't appreciate getting junk mail.)] Received this in our e-mail (English translation follows): PRECEPTO CHINO SOBRE EL DINERO EL DINERO PUEDE COMPRAR UNA CASA, PERO NO UN HOGAR, EL DINERO PUEDE COMPRAR UN RELOJ, PERO NO EL TIEMPO. EL DINERO PUEDE COMPRAR UNA CAMA, PERO NO EL SUEÑO. EL DINERO PUEDE COMPRAR UN LIBRO, PERO NO EL CONOCIMIENTO. EL DINERO PUEDE PAGAR UN MÉDICO, PERO NO LA SALUD. EL DINERO PUEDE COMPRAR UNA POSICIÓN, PERO NO EL RESPETO. EL DINERO PUEDE COMPRAR LA SANGRE, PERO ...
Over the summer I saw a bunch of movies with the kids and here are my reviews of them: Prince Caspian A movie with no plot, no substance, just lots of fighting. To give you idea of how violent the movie is, whenever I asked the kids what they were watching on TV they would reply, "Don't worry, it's not as violent as Prince Caspian." I think the movie can be summed up as follows: Susan: (Examining the ruins of Narnia) "What happened here?" Peter: "I don't know, but lets go thump something" Lucy: "Shouldn't we wait for Aslan?" Peter: "Aslan's not coming. Let's go thump something." (One epic battle gone wrong, a macho hand-to-hand battle gone well for the hero , and in the midst of another epic battle going wrong, Lucy comes across Aslan.) Aslan: "Why didn't you wait for me?" (Lucy looks shamefaced.) Aslan: (Laughing) "Ok, let's go find your friends and help them thump someone." The...
Today Forbidden Planet turns 1 year old. I have considered a web presence since 1996, but eventually it was Ingrid and her Ice Cream that inspired me to start. Initially I expected the content to consist of pontifications and technical entries (princiapally focussed on programming and my sceptical views on conventional knowledge in various fields of science). In the end, it has turned into a more reflective blog. This has actually turned out better for me, since it reminds me of younger days, coffee shops, long walks and deep talks. I have kept my original rule which was to only post one entry per day (actually less than that sometimes). One interesting thing I learned was that "being found" is quite hard. People did not come tripping over my blog in the early days – even now they don't. It still requires a fair amount of browsing other people's blogs and leaving comments to generate visits. I am very gratified with those who regularly visit my blog and leave thou...
Comments