A Random walk

Also know as a Drunkard’s Walk, is a concept used in problem solving. Essentially, you cover an equal distance in a series of random directions. In other words, pick a random direction, and go, let us say, 10 feet. Repeat.
Teeth and Claws

Found out from a coworker at the annual Christmas party last Saturday that my boss of 5 years apparently has a temper. Something I have never personally observed – except for 1 or 2 instances when he looked displeased with me. I’ve always thought he was a pussycat. But, people I’ve worked with always seemed skittish and afraid of him. We use emacs as the editor at work. He set up the script file to provide key bindings and syntax highlighting. There is a bug in his syntax highlighting code, which causes text to be highlighted in large swaths of pink and gray – quite annoying and unusable. So I fixed it and provided him the fix (years ago) – he has never incorporated it. When I try to encourage coworkers to take my emacs customization file. They always respond that the boss would not be happy if they deviated from his setup. So I’m a lone wolf with my computer set up my way.

Feeling old (yet again)

Went to Oil Changer’s last night to have the oil in my car changed. What a surprise from the name of the company.

Eager young lads greeted me. I think I can use the word lads – maybe even laddies. I didn’t see anyone over 18 on duty there. So here I am, 39, being waited upon by a some 16 year old kid. Spunky, enthusiastic, trying to convince me how mature and professional he is. To be honest, I felt for these guys. They’re hard working, they are enthusiastic, they’re trying hard, they are acting oh so grown up and yet, it was also comical. They could have been my kids and that made me feel old. At least nobody called me 'Pops'

All I want for Christmas …

The kids have been pretty clear about what they want for Christmas. Tania (6) wants a Girl Crush Magic Hair Beader. All the reviews I’ve read say it is really cheap and breaks after a few uses. I bought her one anyway. She also wants a Winx Club doll. Hmmm … don’t know about that. I’ve already got a bunch of stuff I bought for her last year for this year.

Jason (4) wants a Roboraptor and Power Rangers (actually, he confuses Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with Power Rangers). I don’t think he’s getting a Roboraptor. It will be an expensive gift for him to break. He likes to “make fossils” by making dinosaurs fall down – seeing Roborator sailing down the stairs does not thrill me. I already have some stuff he should enjoy.

What muppet character am I?
kermit.jpeg
You are Kermit the Frog.
You are reliable, responsible and caring. And you
have a habit of waving your arms about
maniacally.


What Muppet are you?
brought to you by Quizilla

”She’s hot like red pepper, sweet like cherry wine”

Sometimes women and food are interestingly mixed in music. Like that title line from “Howling for my Baby”.

Of course, there is Little Richard’s, “The Girl can’t Help it” with choice lines like:
When she winks an eye, the bread slice turn to toast

If she's smiling, beefsteak become well done,


My favourite has got to be Howlin’ Wolf’s “Shake for Me”, with these charming lines:
I got a cool-shaking baby, shake like jello on a plate

Every time she stops, her flesh it shake like jello


Howlin’ Wolf does not clearly enunciate, so for the longest time, I thought he was saying “I got a cool shaped women, shaped like jello on a plate.” – which didn’t make any sense to me (not that many thing often do). This, at least, makes a bit more sense.

Animal Humour

It's a sunny morning in the Big Forest and the Bear family is just waking up. Baby Bear goes downstairs and sits in his small chair at the table. He looks into his small bowl. It is empty! "Who's been eating my porridge?" he squeaks.

Daddy Bear arrives at the table and sits in his big chair. He looks into his big bowl. It is also empty! "Who's been eating my porridge?" he roars.

Mama Bear puts her head through the serving hatch from the kitchen and yells, "For Pete's sake, how many times do we have to go through this? It was Mama Bear who got up first. It was Mama Bear who woke everybody else in the house up. It was Mama Bear who unloaded the dishwasher from last night and put everything away. It was Mama Bear who went out into the cold early morning air to fetch the newspaper. It was Mama Bear who set the table. It was Mama Bear who put the cat out, cleaned the litter box filled the cat's water & food dish. And now that you've decided to come down stairs and grace me with your presence, listen good because I'm only going to say this one more time: I haven't made the darn porridge yet!"

Lot’s more animal humour here.

Very punny

Previous job I worked at there were two clinical guys (this was medical software I was doing) and they were a team: one would start with a whiny “Oh, man!” and the other would chip in with “Geez!” I told them I liked them because I could always come over for some “whine and geez”.


Images grabbed from here, here, here, here, here and here.

[29-December-2005: fixed broken hyperlinks]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Wisdom Concerning Money

Of retirement and death

Half-and-half